History

History of the Court

The idea on the necessity of an institution, which would protect the Satversme (the Constitution), was first expressed by the Member of the Saeima Pauls Šīmanis in 1930 in his Article “Eight Years of the Constitution of Latvia”. On 8 May 1934, furthering the above idea, the Member of the Saeima Helmuts Štegmanis submitted a motion …

History of the Building

The building, where the Constitutional Court is housed, was constructed in 1872 as a residential building. The construction of the building was commissioned by Emil von Boetticher, the Mayor of Riga, and it was designed by architect Friedrich Wilhelm Hess. Maria Boetticher, the owner of the building, repatriated to Germany in 1940. Later the building …